Monday, January 29, 2007

Fried Chicken

well and so it has come. the first major milestone as a volunteer. i have achieved, survived, struggled, and/or stumbled through my first 9 weeks of life in the village. i think it has been 9 weeks. someone do the math for me... i got there on Nov.23 and i am heading to thies on wed. figured it out? no? good, neither did i. doesn't matter does it. in fact that's something my father, in America, and i were talking about last night. i often have no idea what day of the week it is and i rarely if ever know the actual day of the month. it just doesn't matter anymore. the only time markers i have, for all practical purposes, is sunrise, sundown, and Friday afternoon... the holy day of the week. Friday lunch is always the best meal of the entire week, the reason i love Friday above all other days. i guess i need to know when wed. is because i need to take my malaria medication on that day, religiously. you don't mess around with the malaria medication. it might give me intense vivid dreams, which i personally enjoy, and could possibly effect my mental state and moods... regardless, i don't play around with that. oh and back on subject....
Well so I'm headed back to thies, to the training center, for the next three weeks. Going to do alittle studying, alittle catching up with friends, alittle bit of this and that. not being in my village being the most significant. you know oddly enough i felt alittle sad leaving my village the other day... but not enough to give it too much thought. as i told a friend in an email yesterday, my host family in my village has for all practical purposes become my family. they take care of my needs, they provide a roof over my head, they cook for me, they make me laugh, and they sure make me crazy. like all family, sometimes you just need to get away from them. the ones who make you laugh the hardest are also the ones who drive you the most insane. so yes, I'm sad not to see them for three weeks, but not enough to give it too much thought. besides i will be back living there for 2 years... we can do with three weeks apart. and I'm glad that i was leaving feeling slightly sad, better than dreading the idea of returning. but yea i don't really want to talk about thies.... I'm sure i will talk about it at other times. so... uh...
\nthat's it. \nI know that i often don't talk about important things. but i don't know what to write about. so if you have questions email them to me and i will try to answer them... or even ideas about what you would like to read about. i have all sorts of ideas in my head that I'm sure i pass over because i don't want to think about them... which probably are the most interesting to you. i know there is some disagreement as to what makes for interesting reading. honestly i would like nothing better than to write about how i just ate a chicken pizza, drank two beers, watched a bob Dylan movie last night, and engaged in a number of other americanesque activities in the last 24 hours. to me... that is exciting. come on... i just ate chicken. That is huge! chicken... ahhhh. \n\n here is alittle insight into how i, and many peace corps volunteers think. so we were watching sex in the city on dvd yesterday. yea don't laugh... we have limited choices. so here we are, maybe 5 or 6 volunteers, watching carrie eat Kentucky fried chicken with her boyfriend. they begin a food fight throwing chicken at each other and spraying water on each other with a hose. the point being carrie and her boyfriend were acting like teenagers. All we peace corps volunteers could think and talk about, and almost in unison, was our horror that such good fried chicken was being wasted by these reckless individuals.\n\n \n \n\n",0]
);
//-->

that's it.
I know that i often don't talk about important things. but i don't know what to write about. so if you have questions email them to me and i will try to answer them... or even ideas about what you would like to read about. i have all sorts of ideas in my head that I'm sure i pass over because i don't want to think about them... which probably are the most interesting to you. i know there is some disagreement as to what makes for interesting reading. honestly i would like nothing better than to write about how i just ate a chicken pizza, drank two beers, watched a bob Dylan movie last night, and engaged in a number of other americanesque activities in the last 24 hours. to me... that is exciting. come on... i just ate chicken. That is huge! chicken... ahhhh.
here is alittle insight into how i, and many peace corps volunteers think. so we were watching sex in the city on dvd yesterday. yea don't laugh... we have limited choices. so here we are, maybe 5 or 6 volunteers, watching carrie eat Kentucky fried chicken with her boyfriend. they begin a food fight throwing chicken at each other and spraying water on each other with a hose. the point being carrie and her boyfriend were acting like teenagers. All we peace corps volunteers could think and talk about, and almost in unison, was our horror that such good fried chicken was being wasted by these reckless individuals.

No comments: